I see that I have visitors to my blog that most probably isn’t norwegian speaking people, so I have desided to make it in english as well.
Use circular needles size 7 mm. knit loose.
2 skeins of Aran/10 ply (8wpi) ( I have used Rauma Vamsegarn)
Cast on 72 stitches. Join and knit in the round: *K3, p3*. Repeat from *to*.Knit until the hat measures about 45 cm or 17.5 inches. The hat will shrink about 20%. Decrease like this:
1. Row: *k3, P2tog, p1*. Repeat to the end of the round from * to *.
2. Row: *k3, p2tog*. Repeat to the end of the round from * to *.
3. Row: *k2tog, k1, p1*. Repeat to the end of the round from * to *.
4. Row: * k2tog, p1. Repeat to the end of the round from * to *.
5. Row: *k1, p1*. Repeat to the end of the round from * to *.
Cut the thread long enough to thread through the remaining stitches on the needles. Secure the thread on the wrong side of the work.
Wash the hat at 40 degrees Celsius. After washing, put it in the tumble dryer for 20 – 30 minutes to make it even softer, and to felt even more. Block the hat so it fits perfect.
Tips: This hat was made for a medium head. It’s possible to make it wider by adding 6 stitches or to make it smaller by removing 6 stitches. You should be able to divide the number of stitches on 6. Another possibility is to change the gauge by using bigger or smaller needles or a different yarn.
It should be easy to change the look of the hat, if you for instance made it in a different color, with stripes or attach a crochet flower, or make crochet edging with a different yarn.